For the one who thinks Flamingoes are Swamingoes!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Going to School


For days on end I worried about how you would feel starting school. This major milestone in a parent’s head and yet a small skip into independence for you. I was anxious about how you’d adapt to sitting in a strange place with other tiny tots and teachers. Most times, you love the attention that adults shower on you while hating to socialize with other kids. And yet, you were perhaps among the very few that was completely poised and calm and happy to be there. Showing off your new bag to the teachers and wanting to colour the page yourself with no help.
That’s quite a significant trait I’m beginning to see about you. How you love to do things on your own. You hate when pappy or me want to help you colour or join in when you sing…or tell you how to do something. I’m certain this trait will help you learn some valuables lessons in life…because they’d be your own journeys, of discovery, of failings and of invaluable strength  you’d discover that is a part of yourself.
And it’s been close to a year now, that you’ve been trudging to school and back in your big red shorts with your yellow tee tucked in neatly. Bringing home from time to time, arts and crafts that you work on with your teacher’s help and singing rhymes that mummy never thought you knew all the words to.
In retrospect, I treasure these days. Because it takes an adult to understand the simplicity that childhood entails.

No comments:

Post a Comment